Grinder Safety Quiz
1. You MUST notify the instructor immediately BEFORE using a grinder if:
a. You see a wheel with pieces missing b. The guard is removed from a grinder c. The cord has a cut in it d. The ground prong (third prong) has been removed e. All of the above
2. Materials being ground with the portable hand grinder MUST be:
a. Clamped in a vise unless they are too large b. Free of oils, grease and dirt c. Made of aluminum d. hot e. All of the above
3. Which of the following are true?
a. Never use a grinder if its wheel is less than ½ its original diameter b. Never use a pedestal grinder if the wheel is not true c. Never grind materials when the grinder has been turned off or is slowing down d. You can use steel to stop the wheel when it is slowing down. e. All of the above
4. Which are safe practices in shop?
a. Watching out for potential dangers b. Only using equipment you are trained on c. Having a good attitude toward safety and safety rules d. Engaging in friendly games in the shop e. Thinking about things other than shop practices
5. Which are good safety practices?
a. Checking equipment for problems before using it b. Check for loose connections and worn insulation c. Assume all electricity is dangerous d. Notifying your instructor or supervisor if you see a dangerous situation e. None of the above
6. What safety items MUST be worn when grinding?
a. Ear plugs b. Protective clothing which covers hands, arms, and body c. Nylon or plastic clothing d. Safety glasses and a clear face shield e. Welding helmet
7. The pedestal grinder may be left on after you are done using it only if?
a. The bell rings b. Someone else is in line to use it immediately c. You might come back later d. You want to leave it on e. All of the above
8. T / F Grinders, wire wheels, and shears are dangerous and can cause serious injury.
9. T / F You should always say “cover” before striking the arc if you feel anyone in the area could be watching. 10. T / F Horseplay, talking with, or surprising someone while they are working around equipment is unsafe in the shop.
11. T / F Yellow, orange, and red are colors used in shop to signal workers about safety hazards, items, and equipment dangers.
12. T / F Trousers (pants) with strings hanging from them are unsafe because the catch fire easily and cause tripping.
13. T / F Loose fitting clothes, long, loose hair, and jewelry can get caught in equipment.
14. T / F You should always us vice grips or pliers to hold steel when grinding or buffing with the pedestal grinder.
15. T / F The ventilation MUST be turned on before grinding or buffing.
16. T / F The pedestal grinder tool rest must be as close to the wheel as possible without touching it. Never more than 1/8” away.
17. T / F Allow grinders to run at full speed, do not force metal into them and slow then down with excessive pressure.
18. T / F Hot metal sparks will fly around while grinding and could cause fire or injure someone and should only be directed at the floor or a backstop.
19. T / F ALL injuries MUST be shown to the instructor.
20. Earplugs must be worn when grinding, when near a grinder and should also be worn when welding. What are 2 reasons why? a. ___________________________________ b. ___________________________________
21. Select the reasons why: welding on a booth, burning paint on a booth, stealing items from the shop, graffiti, and misusing equipment and consumables are such important issues in school or in the workplace?
a. They are against the law b. The affect everyone in the school and workplace c. They are unsafe d. You could be permanently removed or fired for them