Welding Safety Quiz
1. Which of the following MUST be stored in an approved steel cabinet?
a. Paint b. Oil c. Cleaning chemicals d. Brooms e. Leathers
2. Fire extinguishers and fire blankets should be mounted on a surface that is painted ______.
a. White b. Yellow c. Yellow and black d. Red e. Blue
3. Which are good practices when lifting?
a. Bend your back b. Lift with your legs c. Wear a back brace d. Lift it with a hoist or jack e. Ask someone else for assistance
4. Which are safe practices in shop?
a. Watching out for potential dangers b. Only using equipment you are trained on c. Having a good attitude toward safety and safety rules d. Engaging in friendly games in the shop e. Thinking about things other than shop practices
5. Which are good safety practices?
a. Checking equipment for problems before using it b. Check for loose connections and worn insulation c. Assume all electricity is dangerous d. Notifying your instructor or supervisor if you see a dangerous situation e. None of the above
6. Which of the following are dangerous light rays developed when welding?
a. Incandescent b. Strobe c. Gaseous d. Infrared e. Ultraviolet
7. Never wear fabrics when welding or cutting made from which of the following?
a. Nylon b. Leather c. Flame retardant treated cotton d. Leather e. All of the above
8. Which of the following are correct?
a. Cylinders should be stored upright b. Cylinders should always be fastened securely c. Cylinders should be turned off when not in use d. Cylinders should always be moved with the safety cap on. e. None of the above
9. ___________ should be used to light an oxyfuel gas flame.
a. A wooden match b. A butane lighter c. A flint spark lighter (striker) d. Another torch e. An electric arc
10. Which of the following are unsafe practice(s) while arc welding?
a. Welding on a damp floor b. Welding around paper, rags, paint, and gasses c. Welding around unprotected bystanders d. Welding on a container (drum) that has not been properly cleaned or prepared.
11. Which 2 types of face and eye protection must be worn while grinding?
a. Safety glasses b. Dark welding helmet c. Unbreakable plastic face shield d. #14 shade lens e. None of the above
12. T / F All fumes should be drawn away before they reach the welder’s nose.
13. T / F Housekeeping is not an important factor in shop safety.
14. T / F Grinders, wire wheels, and shears are dangerous and can cause serious injury.
15. T / F You should always say “look” before striking the arc if you feel anyone in the area could be watching.
16. T / F MSDS is simply information on chemicals and must be available to all workers.
17. T / F Horseplay, talking with, or surprising someone while they are working around equipment is safe in the shop.
18. T / F It is possible to receive a burn similar to a sunburn while arc welding.
19. T / F People who are unsafe can’t hurt themselves and others.
20. T / F Yellow, orange, and red are colors used in shop to signal workers about safety hazards, items, and equipment dangers.
21. T / F Trousers (pants) with strings hanging from them are safe because the catch fire easily and cause tripping.
22. T / F Loose fitting clothes, long, loose hair, and jewelry can get caught in equipment.
23. T / F Hands should be used to pick up metal in the welding shop instead of your pliers.
24. T / F Hot metal sparks will fly around while grinding and could cause fire or injure someone.
25. T / F You should never assume metal is hot if you are not sure.
26. T / F Most fire extinguishers are type A,B, and C and put out almost all types of fires.
27. T / F OSHA is a government agency concerned with saving money.
28. T / F ALL injuries MUST be shown to your friends.
29. Metal which has been welded and is left somewhere to cool should be marked ____________ so nobody is burned by touching it.
30. Earplugs must be worn when grinding, when near a grinder and should also be worn when welding. What are 2 reasons why?
a. ___________________________________ b. ___________________________________
31. Before welding or grinding ventilation must always be _______________.
32. What is the purpose of protective welding curtains (a) and (b) why should they be protected from abuse?
33. Why are: welding on a booth, burning the paint on a booth, stealing items from the shop, graffiti, or misusing equipment or consumables such an important issue in school or the workplace?
a._______________________________________________________________ b._______________________________________________________________ c._______________________________________________________________